HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My heat pump will not come on. The emergency heat will not…

Customer Question
My heat pump will not...
My heat pump will not come on. The emergency heat will not come on either. I have checked the breaker, the capacitor and the fuses.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/18/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. What is Make and model number of unit.

International Comfort Products5 ton heat pump WCH3604GKA
Air Handler FSM4X6000A1

Will the fan work when turned to on. Russ

no

Open up the air handler blower section and check the 5 amp fuse on top right of air handler in electrical section. It is located on a on the fan board. Russ

do yo have a diagram?
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

There should be a diagram on furnace panels or on the blower.

But you dont need that to locate the fuse on the control board of furnace.

Fuse is either 3 or 5 amps orange or purple. pull it out and see if its burnt in the center

The model number you provided is not of the air handler but the coil, please provide exact make and model or air handler.

I checked the air handler. The fuse wasn't blown but one of the breakers in the air handler was tripped but when I turned the breaker back on it still didn't work.

When you reset breaker flip completly off then back on.

Also check the breakers on the house main breaker panel.

Then you will need to confirm voltage to air handler with a volt meter (240 V) between main power cables Black and red usually

I did all of that except for check the volts. Is it possible that the capacitor in the air handler is bad?

Capacitor can be bad but heat pump would start anyways.

If you put fan on at t-stat and turn the blower wheel by hand does it want to continiue turning.

If not.. its not Capacitor.

check for voltage ASAP, stop gessing this and thAT

the fan will come on if it's put on fan

Then you know the capacitor is good

Put t-stat to fan Auto, then

on the control board of air handler, put a jumper wire between R and W,

Thet should start flower and elements .

hello...

That should start blower and elements .

I haven't had a chance to check that yet. If that starts it, what's the problem.

Means you might have a problem with thermostat or wiring.

I will be offline from 6pm to morning I am eastern time and its 4h47 rite now.

Have you had the change YET?

Not yet. It's not at my house it is at the church. I will probably check it today. It has 2 thermostats. If I take the face off and switch would I be able to tell if the thermostat is bad?

Visual inspection of T-stat is not the way to check. Checking T-stat is done with a multi meter..

First You need to do the jumper at the furnace like I said first

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer