HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace is running but not circulating through the

Customer Question
My furnace is running...

My furnace is running but not circulating through the system

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

It is an oil furnace

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it sounds like you actually have a boiler, and its not circulating hot water to the radiators or heated floor... in that case the system needs to have its air bleeds operated...I can coach you on that.

OR you have a gas or oil fired furnace that makes hot air and a blower inside of it blows the hot air around the house.

In either case I need the brand and model number.

.

This can be quite technical, tell me a lot about your skills sets so that I can coach you most effectively as well.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know

it is a Burnham RS-111

Thanks, ***** ***** a boiler.. heats water, then a pump moves the hot water around to the heated floor or radiators... Most common problem in this case is *air trapped at the high points in the system*

THe trapped air causes 'vapor lock' Tell me about your skill sets please so i can coach you most effectively

Does your system use free standing radiators, or base board heaters or do have heated floors.... what you have will tell me how to proceed

baseboards

Thanks, ***** ***** end covers on the base boards where the hot water pipes connect and look for an air bleed, if you find one, make sure there is 20 psi pressure in the boiler, the open the air bleed slightly until some water squirts out.

click for some photo's

There are also air bleeders at every single high point in the system that you need to bleed. (air floats to the top inside the pipe and blocks water flow)

there are no bleeders at the ends, could it be at the pressure/ diaphram tank?

Hello again, the chance that there is air trapped at in the system...**at the high points** are in the 99% range, the chance that something else is going on, such a a problem with the pressure diaphragm tank are less than 1%... there are few other 1% causes that we could spend hours or day chasing down.

Such as, a broken impeller in the not water pump.

However the first step and the crucial step and the most important step is locate the air bleeds in the system *all systems have them... sort of like tires on a car.

If you would like to begin by taking the pump apart and looking for a broken impeller, or locating and removing the various screens in the system... we can certainly do that. But the best move will be to locate the air bleeds and bleed the air from the system.

You will have to look for them... that can be easy, because there are NO air bleeds anywhere in the system, other than at the high points in the piping. (high point means elevation, near the ceiling etc, or on top of the boiler, or pump etc.)

You can take a bunch of photo's and attach them here using the 'add files' link next to your send button... I will point them out to you

I need a way to send a picture - can't do it from my computer only from my cell - so I need a number to send it to

try sending the email to ***@******.*** Attention: Phil in HVAC category

Let me know if that goes through, allow a few hours for it to reach me

Were you able to see the google link I sent with all those pictures of air vent valves on base board heaters?

Don't have time right now
I am at work
I will try to put in some thing to bleed the system- there is no bleeder valve at any high point

Putting in your own bleeder will not work. You would have to cut the pipe, and solder the valves in. ... and no way is that necessary.. if an air bleed was required in that spot, it would have already been in place.... like tires on a car, when you buy a new car... it must come with tires or you cannot drive it off of the lot.

No system ever installed, at start up is full of water... its full of air.

air bleeds had to have been installed so that when the city water feed valve to the boiler was opened the air could escape through the bleed valve.... many many people who attempt to fit an air bleed have it confused with a water drain and try fit the bleed valve on a drain... that is a mistake. It will not work... because the air is not at the drain.... the air is trapped at the very highest points in each part of the system.... and that is where you will find the air bleed valves.

Once again had you seen those few dozen photo's from Google that I sent you of bleed valves? I need that answer from you so that I can understand what the problems are.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer