HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Is the york diamond 80 compatible with a Honeywell Lyric T5…

Customer Question
Is the york diamond...

Is the york diamond 80 compatible with a Honeywell Lyric T5 wi fi thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Something to the thermostat. My old thermostat only used 4 wires, with no C connection. This new one talks about a mandatory C connection required. When I look at the wiring board on the furnace, I see two red wires, one to c and one to r.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/17/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Go ahead and connect your thermostat C to C at the furnace terminal strip. It's ok to have more than 1 wire on C. You can have multiple commons.

all wires appear to be connected on the furnace terminal strip. I don't have any extra to connect.

I said to connect it the the C on the terminal strip. You said you have a C with a red connected to it. Again, it's ok to have more than 1 common connection. That's why they call it a common.

both red wires should be on c

NO, C on furnace terminal strip to C on the thermostat.

Red to R at thermostat. Did you label the other wire connections at the old thermostat?

You match furnace terminal designation to the corresponding thermostat terminals.

Rick
Thermostat c is a blue wire, it was not used with my old thermostat
C on the furnace strip is red along with another red wire in slot r.
I'm confused of what your asking

Wire color is a convenience to tell you what's connected at each end. That's all it is. Again, you match furnace terminals to thermostat terminals. R to R, W to W, etc

Done

Ok, any more questions?

when I power up the furnace, the thermostat does not power up. Nothing happens

You have furnace C connected to thermostat C?

the red C wire in thermostat is connected to a red C in the furnace.

Then it should work. I have to leave. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello do you need more help and do you have a volt meter?

I do need help but don't have volt meter.

OK well go to a Home Depot and get a volt meter and then get back to me, we would be wasting time trying it without one.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you

All set
I figured it out
Thanks
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer