HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 59SC2b furnace blower running time and blow cold air

My 59SC2b furnace blower...

My 59SC2b furnace blower running long time and blow cold air after heating cycle.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes. The filter is clean. There is no error code. It dosn't happen all the time. It usually after the second or third heating cycle after program change, i.e. from 63 to 66 in the eveing.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I will can for service tomorrow. But I am curious because the unit is only three years old and was checked twice a year by a HVAC company..

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is the high-temperature limit switch failing?

12/17/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If a limit switch is opening you should get an error code.Could be a relay on board sticking.How long does it run after heat cycles off?

Thanks. It is running until the next heating cycle starts in 5 to 10 minutes. The blower stops, then the next heating cycle starts. It is only happens a couple of cycles after program change, i.e. from day, (63 C) to evening (66 C) or night (63 C) to morning (65 C). I only noticed this since last Wednesday. The outside temperature is at high teens or the low 20s every time this happened. I had A maintenance service done on Nov. 8.
Not necessary to call.

But no error codes?

If fan is in auto mode on thermostat, the issue has to be with a sticking relay on board if it runs past 3 minutes or there is an issue with thermostat.

Give me model on thermostat and let's check to see if maybe a setting there needs to be changed.

It is a carrier TB---PAC or TB---PHP, the one with hardwire power and battery backup. It's been running for the the last three years and has no issue.

If no changes were made the thermostat, issue is going to be the furnace control board

It doing it right now.

Try disconnecting R thermostat wire and see if fan stops.

II released the red wire from the thermostat. It didn't stop.

Fan relay on board is sticking and board will need to be replaced.Should be covered under waranty

Thanks.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

One of the back-up battery is leaky. Does this have something to do with the long blower run?

Not if releasing red wire from thermostat did not make fan stop

The red wire is labeled 24VAC in the manual. The thermostat was on battery when first installed, but it drained the battery really quickly. I had to call the installer and a technician got it hardwired. The unit came with a new construction and the installer did bad jobs for the entire neighborhood. It was fired and is no longer in service.

The batteries will not be the culprit in this situation.

If thermostat related whether battery or 24vac from furnace, disconnecting R wire would allow fan to go off which it does not.

Thank you very much for all your help. I will call my HVAC company tomorrow.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
The HVAC technician from a local Carrier dealer thought the same but he cannot replace the board because the system worked normally when he was here. I have to wait until it happens constantly before he can order a new board. It is a waiting game now.Thank you very much for all your help.

Thanks fr the follow up