HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have had issues with a new heat pump installed and a

Customer Question
I have had issues...

I have had issues with a new heat pump installed and a honeywell rth7600 thermostat. I just tried installing a new thermostat but it turns out it's not compatible for a heat pump. I tried putting the honeywell back on and now I can't get the system to come on. I checked the breaker.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes double checked all of that

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was but now not so sure it's going to freeze tonight and I have kids in the house

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I rewired it the same as it was before but now the fan won't come on. It didn't require batteries for the thermostat to have power but now it won't display anything without them

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH