HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I just purchased a condo in Nashville TN with an 'older'

Customer Question
Hi. I just purchased...

Hi. I just purchased a condo in Nashville TN with an 'older' heat pump system which is running virtually non-stop in order to hold temp. The 'aux heat' is cycling on and off, so I think the system is functional. My question - is it possible to adjust/reduce the fan speed on the inside unit (Carrier 40AQO24300EH, S/N J7A 35742). Thank You! ***** ***@******.***

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Just installed Honeywell RTH3100C thermostat days ago, and have re-checked installation, wiring and settings with Honeywell twice. Filter is a few weeks old - it's 3M filtrete 20x25x1 'clean living' electrostatic. Is there a spec for air filters - do I have too much air resistance?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can - but I have my limits in which case I would contact an expert. We've worked with Lee Heating & Cooling here in Nashville.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure, but this is our first experience with a heat pump system, so we realize it will 'run more'. Just seems to us more noise and 'drafty feeling'.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/15/2017
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

Hello, I am Kevin, one of the Tech's here on JA. Are you available to chat?

Hi Kevin,
Yes I'm available but in and out today (Saturday). A little more current info to add - last night the unit ran all night, but held temp at a steady 67 F. This morning I went outside to see what was going on with the outside unit. It was about 49F outside at the time, the compressor was running, the fan was not running, and the smaller of the two copper pipes running from the unit was hot. Unit smelled hot/overheated, so I shut it off completely. The outside unit appears to be pretty old - it's a Goodman model CPKE24-1B, S/N(###) ###-#### So before this morning, I actually thought it was running all right, just all the time with a noisy fan blower, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks, *****
btw we live in a 'tri-level' condo in Nashville, TN - the system in question heats/cools the lower level, basically two normal sized rooms and a smaller bathroom. There is a separate heat pump system which does the middle and upper levels and is running perfectly.
Hi Kevin, Today is Sunday December 17, and I thought I would circle back with you. Yesterday my wife and I decided we had to take action because subject system was totally not working properly. We called Lee Company here in Nashville and received outstanding service. System is now up and running perfectly. Turns out the bot***** *****ne seemed to be 3 things 1) old thermostat seemed to have been wired improperly, so when I installed the new one, it was wired wrong also, 2) the outside fan motor is marginal and needs replacement, and 3) the whole system is old (1975! inside and 1995 outside) and so we're going to look at proposals to replace the whole thing in the future. Meanwhile it's working now and so the case is closed in regard to this inquiry. Thank You.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer