HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I hope so since it's 12F out there. I have a York 90% Eff…

Customer Question
I hope so since...

I hope so since it's 12F out there. I have a York 90% hi-Eff Furnace with Modulating Gas valve and main blower. It is leaking water during heating cycle. I have replaced the clear collector box with the new solid black one because it was cracked and leaking. Now i getting a small puddle of water coming out the front of the unit. NOT the collector box all surfaces under the the burner section are dry. Checking i see it leaking from the bottom of the blower housing?? Have you see this before? is it the secondary heat-X issue?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes and YES the unit is heating fine no problem house is very comfortable. it the water that im worried about..

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm a retired HVAC tech .. YES

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just am not familiar with this type of furnace internal flow and I have checked with local supplier and there are no recalls for the secondary Heat-X like there was on the collector box. The unit is 4 years old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/15/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

1. What is the model on the furnace?

2.Can you attach pics showing where it is leaking using add file button?

Can't tell much from pic. Is this water underneath and side entrance return?

SEE attached.. water falling into blower housing and coming out bottom then rolling towards the back

Take a look at that pic and tell me if it looks good and matches your installation

The middle unit condensate out the right side

OK, that should all be ok then.Do you know if unit was properly sized?Does it seem to run long enough. The only two things I can think of is the unit is oversized or the heat exchanger is the problem.I have actually seen it almost "rain" inside the vent pipe when oversized.

Here is my thoughts....there was a 100,000 before I replaced it with an 80,000... For water to collect in the bottom of the housing it must happen after the heating cycle if finished. main ECM motor running at reduced speed Just looking to see if with all your exposer have you heard of the secondary cracking on a unit this young... was not there first few years just started this year. Small amount of water as you see never get much bigger.
Thanks
Ed

ED I think I would have that heat exchanger checked.I am not aware of any recalls or widespread issue with the 90plus Yorks, but that is not to say there can't be a few out there,especially with the inferior materials we are getting imported.

There defintely should not be any water near that ecm motor at anytime.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician