HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I recently noticed most of the coils on my outdoor unit are…

Customer Question
I recently noticed most...

I recently noticed most of the coils on my outdoor unit are frosted completely shut, except the top 4 inches, while it's running. The nights have been mid 20's for couple weeks, if that helps to diagnose. Frost seems to clear when I turn unit off. It's heating fine. Maybe this is normal?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I only know of one filter, the air return inside, which I change regularly, but will try a new one. Also, not sure what you mean by checking thermostat settings. I use "heat" mode, not eheat. Set at 64 night, 67 morning til I get woodstove going.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will start by changing filter; surely there's not one in the attic unit? Also, is the frost normal until unit runs awhile?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is some frosting normal on the outdoor coils?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

The frosting is normal at times but should not be there at all time.AS the cold air is drawn across the outdoor coils they will start frosting.But after several minutes, the unit should go into what is called a defrost mode and thaw the ice.

If the ice is constant, you need to have a technician troubleshoot the system to determine why the defrost board is not initiating the defrost mode to thaw the coils.