HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am trying to replace an old protectofier 7256 with a

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to replace an old protectofier 7256 with a honeywell 532ac and am finding it hard to wire it up

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

3 days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

3 days

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
just looking for a pinout from old to new
Answered in 6 days by:
12/22/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, click here please, tell me if that looks like the protectfier wiring diagram or not, we can go from there.

click here please, tell me if the wiring diagrams on page 16-19 match the Honeywell 532c that you have

If so, you will be best off removing the portectofier entirely and wiring the new honeywell in from scratch rather that try to match up items that operate in dissimilar manners... that has been my successful strategy over the years (I am 77 in the business since I was 19)

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Page 19 is correct for the honeywell and i have attached the protectofier i have.
I am aware that i should rewire from scratch but i have to use pre-existing wiring except for the eye. I should also mention this eye has to see the pilot first then the main flame.

In that case, begin by disconnecting all wire terminals from the both the existing controller, and the gas valve and limit switches it is attached to.

then fit the new Honeywell controller, and wire one circuit at a time using the existing conduit and wires... but make no attempt to translate the functions from the old controller to the new one.... just rewire it completely, but using the existing conduit and already pulled wire... disconnected wire and the new honeywell wiring diagram... if you are lucky most will match up, if not you may have to pull a few additional wires.

This will eliminate many of the risks.

i understand one wire at a time. I guess my problem is I don't know the functionality of the new Honeywell.
What pulls in the coils?
How does it tell the pilot from the burner flame?
It has to see pilot before opening main gas valves.Im looking to hopefully get someone to tell me how to hook up the old wires to where on the new.

Thats where the rub come in, the function of the peripheral sensors on the boiler must be determined so that you can wire the new controller to them correctly... from here I cannot tell what that boiler has on it... there are many options... and with boiler work the risks are HIGH.

The flame sensor cannot tell the pilot flame from the main burner flame, that boiler was manufactured by a company that assumed as many do, that if there is a pilot flame, the main burner would also be firing.

I know of no one here or anywhere that would take the chance of prescribing wiring without tests, and knowing all the details of what is currently attached to the boiler.... if this is a tiny boiler as seen in many homes the risks are relatively low, a boiler blast will only take out the house its in, and maybe one or two of the neighbors.... it its in a larger building the blast radius can be a lot larger and the damage more extreme.

click here please