HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Heritage Bay Lopi Gas Stand alone fireplace. The…

Customer Question
I have a Heritage...

I have a Heritage Bay Lopi Gas Stand alone fireplace. The piolet stays lighted and when I click the switch the flame ignites. The flame however does not stay on it shuts off and the unit goes back to stand by with the piolet only staying on.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

The name tag"Heritage Bay Lopi"

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I have to Yes. I am on the west Shore of Lake Tahoe California 96141 and every one is to busy. I need heat NOW .

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am trying to keep warm with delongi electric radient heaters. The wood insert is fouled with builup and the chimney needs cleaning. I am in a tough position.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/14/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Try connecting the TH & THTP ( or THPP)terminals on the gas control valve. Does the main burner stay lit?

I do not know what or where th &thtp terminals are. I can take pictures and reconnect and get back to you.Does that work?? Then maybe a phone call. My reception on my cell is sometimes not good.

I don't need pictures. The gas control valve is where you adjust the flame height. That knob is in the middle. The terminals are on the end

If you cell reception at the stove isn't good a call would be pointless.

I do not want to commit to any long term contract on this call. I need to move things to be able to answer and follow your direction.

I have no control over the marketing the site does. I just told you where the gas valve is. Did you see my answer?

Let me look . will you wait?

ok

What I see is just the gas connection going in to the back of the Unit . it comes from a gas valve The back of the unit has a panel that I would have to remove to seemore. I would have shut off the valve disconnect the supply and the flue and move the unit inorder to remove the back panel. beside the panel is the switch which when pressed down shut down the flame leaving the piolet on. When I click the switch the flame ignites and should stay on untilI switch it off. When I was examining the back the flame which was not working just came back on.

You access the gas valve from the drop down panel in the bottom front of the unit

ok I will be back

ok

What tools will I need to access the front of the unit

You just swing the panel cover down from the top.

did that . Thanks there is a gas control knob and a flame control knob and a pilot button.
What now??

do you see the electrical terminals to the right?

they seem connected. there are two red rt angle terminal connecters inplace and there are tother terminals with electrical leadds connected by screws. The main burner where the flame ignites ist not on but the switch on the side of the back panel is on so the flame should be on. it is not however. Should I turn the flame dial? if so which way?

You need to connect the TH & THTP terminals with a piece of wire. You can use a metal paper clip if you don't have any wire

which are the th&thtp terminals.What does th & thtp stand for??

Ok, it's apparent you don't have the necessary skills to fix this even f you could manage to connect the terminals like I've been saying. You need to wait for professional service. You could make things worse even hazardous.

Are they the screw connected terminals.
The physical skills I have but the understanding of the terminology no.
Can you tell me what you think is wrong from my description? I release you from any resposibility for my actions. Fair enough?

Yes the screw terminals. You could have a weak thermopile or possibly a stray flame impinging on the thermopiles cold junction. If you need this much assistance to just locate the gas valve terminals dealing with the thermopile is beyond your capabilities.

Again I did not install
the unit and know nothing about the terminology. I have no manuel to interpret the terminology. Know where I can get a manuel for this Heritage Bay Lopi?? By the time a "professional gets here I will be frozen .
You are knowledgable. Can you help me or Can I call back after I get a manuel?

The problem is you have no knowledge of this unit or gas appliances in general. I can no more tell you how to fix this than a Ford mechanic could tell someone with no knowledge of cars how to replace a fuel injector.

I take it your answer is no do not call back because I have no knowledge of this unit or gas appliances and the manuel will not over come my lack of your knowledge.
Please answer