HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have just purchased and installed a RTH360 series

Customer Question
I have just purchased...

I have just purchased and installed a RTH360 series Thermostat. Our situation is such that we have to have our coils repaired and the freon reloaded so we are using emergency b/U heat (electric coils).

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

When I wired the thermostat I did so as directed by the installation manual wit h the System Setup Number 221 at 1. Upon restating the furnace the thermostat quickly responded and heat came on. Our problem is that the thermostat is not responding, I have the temp set to 72f, and the heater continues to run with a current temp of 75f. I have deenergized the furnace until such time that I can resolve the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I have a contractor affecting the repairs. This is to get us thru until next week. My wife and I are aged and cold affects us terriby.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can provide all the System Setup Options chosen.m Woulld that help?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/14/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Are you sure the thermostat is causing the issue? What wiring do you have to the thermostat and to what terminals, colors and terminal list please.

I wired in as follows:Y to Y, G to G, I have no C so C is wired to O(range), W to W and R to R.
Original wiring was W to Aux/E, G to G, O to O to O/B, Y to Y and R to R. The old thermostat was a Honeywell , but unable to ID model.

Ok if you remove the W wire from the thermostat does it still heat?

NewThermostat was wired as shown on page 13 of the installation manual; Wiring-heat pump, not Alternate Wiring.
You still there?
With the White wire disconnected at the thermostat and pwr resotored, the fan is NOT running.

Ok if you are not running the heat pump at all set the unit up for regular air furnace operation and connect the W to the W and it should turn off at the set point. In heat pump mode it likely will not.

Change wiring to "conventional systems" as shown on page 12?

Yes

OK , hang tight while I shift wiring.
No good boss, this is the same configuration I started with. All wires match except Orange is connected to C.
The face plate is showing the unit in Emergency Heat, is this correct?
The temp has now dropped to 72F which is what I hasd it set o, however the fan is still running.
OK, now I have had the thermostat set at 70 and the heater is running with temp rising to 73.

You can not have it set to a heat pump setting if the display still shows emergency heat you have it in a heat pump mode

Should I manually shift it to Heat as opposed to Emer Heat?

Yes so no WIRE to the O/B only White to W and put it to HEAT

I have no wire in O/B. It is wired per the instruction maual represents with the exception I hvce my orange wire connected to terminal "C".
Should I connect my Orange wire to terminal O/B?

You need your C terminal connected to power the themostat, but nothing in the O/B terminal

OK, so the question still stands: Where do I connect my Orange wire?

Orange should only be to O/B... you should have never connected it to C or it could be the reason you are having this issue.

OK, so how do I go about clearing it back to factory settings and starting all over again?
First you have repatedly instructed me that nothing is to be connected to O/B, and then you tell me to cnnect my Orange to O/B and nothing to C. However earlier you instructed me that I must have a connection to C or the thermostat will not work, So what and where?
Additionally you now tell me I should never have any connection to terminal C, whats up. Im at a loss for what goes where?

Your new thermostat will require a C wire to work, let me see if another tech can help you out, stand by please.

What is the function of the C wire?
By the way, while I am waiting I checked my balance on my checking account, and low and behold there is a charge of $27 to "just answer *EX. What this all about?
I have not in any fit, form or function agreed to a "call me" situation. What gives?
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH