HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The thermostat is probably 30 yrs. old, it's a Honeywell. I…

Customer Question
The thermostat is probably...

The thermostat is probably 30 yrs. old, it's a Honeywell. I don't think it's working right. no matter how high I turn the heat up ,the temperature is staying around 62. the house is cold. I took the cap off the thermostat but I do not know how to adjust it. I had the heater worked on in Oct. and the worker adjusted the thermostat because he said it was not registering correctly. since then it seems like I can get the heat very warm

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters?on the thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, I'm a 70 yr old woman.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Ican't go down the basement, it's too hard (steps). if I take the cover off the thermostat in the dining room how do I change the setting to see if it is really working and to see if I need to buy a new one

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/14/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 9 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Let's do this to determine if thermostat is the problem.If the thermostat is not the problem you will have to get to furnace or get someone in.

Remove R and W wires at thermostat and connect wires together and leave connected for awhile and see if heat stays on and it gets house warm.

can't get the screwdriver in to disconnect wires. dial is in the way
phone number is(###) ###-####maybe calling would work better

What is model on thermostat?

never mind, I'll get neighbor to help, sorry. credit card at limit

I understand.If you want to get neighbor over, I can guide you here step by step when neighbor is there

I'll have to bookmark page, can't get anyone for a few hours, no neighbors home till night

Tonight is fine,Just come back to page and go to MY QUESTIONS when ready.That will bring you back here.