HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am replacing my pilot assembly on my heat n glow 6000-G ng…

Customer Question
Hi I am replacing...

Hi I am replacing my pilot assembly on my heat n glow 6000-G ng fireplace, my question is I disconnect all the wires but I can’t get them out of the fireplace, they don’t fit through the holes, ?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I hit the wall switch it sparks and the pilot light goes on and stays on but doesn’t ignite

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I disconnected the wiring, but the holes are too small to pull them out

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

How to I get the wires through the small holes?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/14/2017
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your fireplace wiring question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

I​t is not uncommon to run bare wires through the framework and then crimp on the appropriate electrical connectors. While this may be irritating it is usually done to minimize potential fire escape/leaks. A simple solution is to mark the wires and cut off the ends and install new crimps, or to cut the hole a little larger and fold down the metal, run the new wires, and then bend the metal back up. From the rest of your description the problem sounds more like a gas valve issue rather than a pilot issue. Over time the gas valves do not open all the way because they dry out internally.