HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am testing it now. One moment please. I just noticed it.

Customer Question
I am testing it...

I am testing it now. One moment please.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just noticed it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The burners ignite and heat up then go off. There is a small fan that is running, but not the blowers

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The red light blinks 4 times

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The filter appears ok, and I blew in the hose to make sure the switch worked and it did.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Model on unit?

where can I find that?

Actual model will be on a label on inside furnace panel just above burners.Remove panel to burner compartment and look inside. The model number will help me give accurate assistance for your specific unit.
Below is a link to a generic video showing where to find label with model number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZfyeZOFdpU

If furnace is not coming on or does not stay on , there should be an error light flashing on the control board in blower compartment to indicate what has failed. If you can locate this and tell me the pattern of the flash, that will point us in the right direction for troubleshooting.
Also let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.WE will go from here.

model # is GMT 140-5A Serial # is(###) ###-####
The red light is blinking 4 times
Are you still there?

Looking for legend.Do you see a legend telling us the 4 blinks indicates open limit or what?

I have to take the other panel off for the legend. 1 moment

Found it.That is an open limit error

The 4 flash code is an open high temp limit error.
There may be
several limits on the furnace.Blow describes locations:
PRI***** *****MIT
The pri***** *****mit control is located on the partition panel and monitors
heat exchanger compartment temperatures. It is a normally closed
(electrically), automatic reset, temperature-activated sensor.
The limit guards against the overheating as a result of insufficient
conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
AUXILIARY LIMIT
The auxiliary limit control(s) are located on or near the circulator
blower and monitors heat exchanger compartment temperatures.
They are a normally-closed (electrically), manual-reset, temperature
activated sensors. These limits guard against overheating as a
result of insufficient conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
VENT DRAFGAURD
These would be located on the draft hood if you have one on your furnace.
ROLLOUT LIMIT
The rollout limit controls are mounted on the burner/manifold assembly
and monitor the burner flame. They are normally-closed
(electrically), manual-reset, temperature-activated sensors. These
limits guard against burner flames not being properly drawn into the
heat exchanger.
Lets start with the most simple and easy. Look near burners for limits with a little button in center.It will push in to reset.If none are tripped we will go from here. Let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.
http://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg

I do have a multimeter. But will need help using it.

Try pressing all rollout switch resets first.

https://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg

the click and reset did not work.How do I test these circuits? In the pic you sent?

You can bypass one at a time or test continuity with meter on eachhttps://i.imgur.com/Aqd9O0f.png