HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

The heater will turn on but the blower wont. TO be specific,

Customer Question
The heater will turn...

The heater will turn on but the blower wont.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

TO be specific, the blower turns on sometimes, but never for very long and the blower works when the heat is tuned off

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The filter is brand new, the furnace is less than a year old and the thermostats settings have been checked regularly

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what the issue is. The AC worked fine all summer and when this has happened before, we just reset the furnace to fix it I assume its some sort of sensor thats the problem but I don't know for sure

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure. You can ask any questions tho, maybe I can answer something you might think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/14/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

1.Give me model on furnace

2.Does blower work in FAN ON mode and AC mode?

3.Do burners light and then go out because of no blower in heat mode?

model #: W92PA0Y01317MSAThe blower works fine for AC and fan only. Its only heat where it doesn't work.Unsure about the burners.

Lets go one step at a time.

Call for heat at thermostat and tell me how far in this sequence it goes.

1.Small vent inducer motor comes on

2.Igniter lights

3.Burners light

4.Blower starts

heat called and I can then hear the furnace doing stuff. Sounds like there is a fan on (likely the vent inducer) but I can't say for sure about the rest. The error on the furnace is H 57 which is a pressure sensor. This was replaced shortly after the unit was installed for doing similar stuff and could be the issue again though what are the chances that its the same piece twice and not something else causing the sensor to blow?

Your problem is the draft inducer is not closing the pressure switch.

Below are causes.

1.Bad pressure switch

2.Blocked vent

3.Blocked hose

4.Inducer not pulling sufficient vacuum on switch

ok so since the sensor was already replaced early in the year (march) I have to assume its not the sensor but one of the other options. When you say blocked vent, do you mean outside or do I have to check the internal tubing? Also what about the host or inducer not pulling, any way to isolate that as the issue? Just trying to figure out what this could be since I think the pressure switch may be indicating another problem rather than being the problem itself.

There is a hose between inducer and pressure switch.Carbon in this hose could prevent vacuum.Then there are hoses removing condensate from furnace.Any water standing in these hoses will prevent vacuum

AS for testing inducer vacuum you would need a manometer.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician