HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

After having a Nest 'installed' I am not getting any power…

Customer Question
After having a Nest...

After having a Nest 'installed' I am not getting any power from the boiler. The Nest 'pro' indicated it might be a fuse. It is a Burnham kv-73 boiler

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A couple weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just installed a new carlin primary control unit but still no luck with the power from the boiler

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

The thermostat was working for about an hour, I turned it off, left and when trying to turn it back on there was no power... the old thermostat does not work either now. I think the filters are food

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/13/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Where did you connect the C wire to?

No C wire on the thermostat. Only R bad W1
the W1 wire

The Nest can not function without a C wire or it will always need to be recharged. If you interlock the R and W wires at the thermostat does it come on?

Interlock how? I am not following. The Nest was running when first installed, it was turned off. When I tried to turn back on it indicated no power. When I tried to install the old thermostat it indicated no power either. Seems like no power is coming from the boiler

There is no power to the thermostats the way you have it wired...The Nest needs a C wire or will need to be recharged. Your old one would be a battery powered unit. If you just interlock the wire ends so they are connected does the unit come on.

touch the r and w wire and see if the boiler/ heat kicks on?

Yes correct!

Trying now

ok thanks!

Nothing from the boiler when the two wires have been connected

OK go to the boiler and can you get to the board or do you have a beckett burner with red button?

I have a burnham. The primary control has a red reset button but there does not appear to be power going to the control

Can you check for power to the control with a volt meter there is not fuse on the control. You can try to hard reset the control by pressing the red button in for 30-40 secs. If nothing happens check for power to the control you may have lost it.

I don't have a bolt meter but I am certain there is no power coming to the control.... the control is new too so I am guessing the lack of power is comin from the high voltage(110?) box above it. Would there be a fuse there?

There could be a fuse or did you check the breaker to the unit? This is a power issue to it it seems for sure.

Definitely a power issue. The breaker looks good... but how would I check for sure? When I looks in the high voltage box I don't see a fuse but I might just me missing it... I am not sure

There should not be one there unless it was added. Check for incoming power on the BLACK and WHITE wires to the unit for 120 volts.

Is there a way to check without a volt meter?

Not really you would need one to confirm power

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Hi there,