HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a chronotherm III and I turned off the heat and put…

Customer Question
I have a chronotherm...

I have a chronotherm III and I turned off the heat and put the fan on manual. When I returned the setting to heat/ auto the heat came on for about 2 minutes and then displayed hold ac. After a little while the heat will come back on and stop and display hold ac,over and over.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I didn't check the filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The furnace is a Lennox forced hot air

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/13/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like a bad printed circuit board, 90% chance that is that is the case.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a lot about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here as you keep asking follow up questions without any limits …

I am a millwright so I have an extensive mechanical and electrical background. Hvac is my only shortcoming
No phones

Phone calls are entirely optional.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer.