HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a trane gas furnace (xr-90). our blower was on

Customer Question
We have a trane...

We have a trane gas furnace (xr-90). our blower was on continuously with no heat. the glo plugs came on but the burner did not. I tested the themostat for continuity on the R and G terminals and got continuity with the programable thermostat off and blower on auto. I also ran shorted out the red and yellow wire terminals at the control board and got the burner to light.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

We replaced the 4 wire programable thermostat with a simple 3 wire thermosat and the burner wont go out. the 4 wires exiting the wall are red, uyellow, green and black. the new themostat calls for red yellow and white wires. I connected the red and yellow to the correct teminals and the black wire to the white wire terminal. Im guessing this is not correct. We have a clean filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I cleaned the ignitor and flame sensor with a with wire cloth. the condensator is free of debre.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am doing the repairs myself due to funds. sorry for the long story.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/13/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

With thermostat off the wall....touch the red and yellow together and hold.

Tell me if furnace runs......