HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

The Furnace stopped working but the fan keeps going. I don't…

Customer Question
The Furnace stopped working...

The Furnace stopped working but the fan keeps going. I don't know where the pilot light is supposed to be. On the motherboard the red light flashes 11 times. I changed the ? it turns to a steady green for a while and then goes back to flashing red. What does that mean? I am the home owner. Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes and no. I replaced the one in the hallway. I don't see another filter in the furnace itself. There has never been one.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I am told where to find the culprit and how to fix it, yes I can do it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If I can build a very sophisticated airplane there is not a thing I cannot do in this life.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/12/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you give me complete model from inside furnace in burner compartment so I can provide guidance with this specific unit.Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel
http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Unit Model: GY9S100C20DH11J -- Serial Number: W0G6621215

Thanks for this information.It appears the 11 red flashes indicates a blower failure.

Tell me exactly how far the furnace goes in the sequence below before we get the error code.

When the wall thermostat R and W contacts close, indicating a call for heat, the following sequence occurs: 1. The inducer is energized and ramps up its speed until airflow is proven by the pressure switch and by the pressure sensor on the control board. 2. The hot surface ignitor is energized. 3. After a 17-20 second igniter heat-up, the gas valve opens and the burners light. 4. When the control senses that flame is present, the circulating blower starts at low speed. 5. The furnace fires at 70% of full rate for 30-45 seconds, then drops to the minimum (35%) firing rate. 6. The firing rate is automatically adjusted to meet demand, increasing gradually to maximum (100%) firing rate if the thermostat is not satisfied within a defined time

ok. 11 Limit switch open - blower failed. How can I fix that?

First step is to locate all limits and see if one is "open"There may be
several limits on the furnace.Blow describes locations:
PRI***** *****MIT
The pri***** *****mit control is located on the partition panel and monitors
heat exchanger compartment temperatures. It is a normally closed
(electrically), automatic reset, temperature-activated sensor.
The limit guards against the overheating as a result of insufficient
conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
AUXILIARY LIMIT
The auxiliary limit control(s) are located on or near the circulator
blower and monitors heat exchanger compartment temperatures.
They are a normally-closed (electrically), manual-reset, temperature
activated sensors. These limits guard against overheating as a
result of insufficient conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
VENT DRAFGAURD
These would be located on the draft hood if you have one on your furnace.
ROLLOUT LIMIT
The rollout limit controls are mounted on the burner/manifold assembly
and monitor the burner flame. They are normally-closed
(electrically), manual-reset, temperature-activated sensors. These
limits guard against burner flames not being properly drawn into the
heat exchanger.
Lets start with the most simple and easy. Look near burners for limits with a little button in center.It will push in to reset.If none are tripped we will go from here. Let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting.
http://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg

I could read that from the back of the panel.

I can't build a sophisticated airplane but I have been repairing furnaces for just over 40 years.If you can follow my step by step instructions, together we can solve your problem.

I do not see any limit switch furnace side panel
Call me on my cell(###) ###-#### I am in the attic.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer