HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My thermostat says failed to connect to my wifi. it the

Customer Question
Hi, my thermostat says...

Hi, my thermostat says failed to connect to my wifi. it the problem with the furnace?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't know, looks like the furnace is not firing up

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No right now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/12/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you with your question today. Can you let me know what thermostat you have? If it helps, you can take a photo of the thermostat and post it here.

Nest

Okay, thank you. I can't call at the moment but can continue with chat until I can call. How old is your Nest? You wouldn't happen to know which generation it is, would you?

Less than a year

Okay, thanks. Let's start by resetting the thermostat.

1. Press the thermostat ring to bring up the Quick View menu.
2. Turn the ring to Settings and press to select.
3. Choose Reset > Restart.
4. Turn the ring until Ok appears on the screen and press to restart.

Let me know after it boots back up.

I did the reset>restart ok but the furnace does not restart

Okay, thanks - what type of heat do you have (heat pump, gas heat, etc)?

gas heat

Okay, and is the gas furnace accessible? If so, take a look and see if you can see a flashing LED inside... if you see it count how many times it's flashing and let me know.

Please can you tell me if I have to call a repair person, I have a sick person in home

Okay, let's see if we can answer that quickly - try this if you feel comfortable: Remove the face of the thermostat and connect the wire going to R and the wire going to W together and see if the heat comes on.

I did it nothing happens

Okay, thank you. Can you access the furnace?

Do you feel comfortable removing the panels on the furnace? If so, remove them and find the control board. There may be a door switch that you will need to make sure is pushed in so that voltage is getting to the board. Do you see any flashing lights on the control board?

If I press the switch one light come on

Okay, so we're getting power so that's good. Can you jump R and W on the control board and press switch in to see if furnace starts to fire up?

I can not do it

Okay, if we were able to do this then we would know if the problem is with the furnace or the wiring between furnace and thermostat. Try installing the panels back on the furnace and turn thermostat back to heat (or jump R and W wires at thermostat again). Removing the access panel and cutting power to board may have reset it. If furnace starts to fire up watch it closely and see what happens.