HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Just had installed a Thermostat E to replace a 1st

Customer Question
generation. Thermostat seems to...
Just had installed a Thermostat E to replace a 1st generation. Thermostat seems to be working but app says power out. Help!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/12/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 4 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Do you hve a C wire connected to the thermostat?

Ok
No C wire apparently

You will need a C wire to power it for your app or the unit will say that the power is out. Can you run another wire or do you have any extra wires you could use?

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Problem not solved yet and won't be today. I'll respond when my thermostat Is working.

OK let me know if you need more help.

Electrician is puzzled by need for C wire. Said I didn't have one before. Ugh.

What themostat did you install?

Thermostat E

Thermostat E? What is that?

Nest Thermostat E.
What a nightmare.

Oh yes a NEST...that needs a C wire connected or it will not work you have to have one.

CAn you be more specific?

Yes the Nest thermostat is not a battery powered unit it needs 24 volts to keep the unit powered. It has an internal battery, but is designed to run only on constant power. To get 24 volts to the unit you need a 24 volt HOT wire which all thermostats have to the R terminal and a 24 volt negative terminal (like a battery) to the C terminal, then the thermostat will be fed constant power to run correctly. If it does not have that it will come up with a NO AC code.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH