HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Frigidaire furnace is cycling on and off, One filter,

Customer Question
My Frigidaire furnace is...

My Frigidaire furnace is cycling on and off

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

One filter, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can i seated the cables to the circuit board and it came on for a few seconds then turned off

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I had a yello light on the CB besides a red one I cleaned the flame sensor and it is still cycling on and off

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/11/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What is model on furnace and what is led doing now?

FG6RA-096C
it is solid red

Let me grab a manual.On call for heat tell me exactly what happens and if light changes

As soon as furnace fails to stay on the red light should start flashing indicating what failed by number of flashes between pausing.

okay, heading down to the basement. will be right back

Standing by

This time the ignitor came on but the flame did not
light blinked 3 times between pause

Was inducer still running with the 3 blinks?

tried again and flame stayed on only for a couple of seconds
you mean the little fan?
it ran for a few seconds and cycled off and on imediately

Little fan has to stay on the entire heat cycle.

Check ta wires to small fan and see if the 120v is dropping out to little fan.

The board is Nordyne in 624631-0
are these available for pickup in local stores around Naperville IL?

Have to step away for a few.be right back.If losing power to small fan try jumping R and W on furnace board and see if we can get it to stay on.https://i.imgur.com/JprQdYv.png

Or do I need to order online and wait
my R and W are on far ends
Jumping the R and W killed it
now even the little fan or Red light does not come on
did it blow a fuse

R is 24v power to thermostat.W is 24v power (same leg) coming back from W at thermostat..Touching the two CAN NOT short anything.You may have let R touch C creating a short.Check fuse on board

I connected the R and W and powered on the switch on the side of the furnace
there was a small spark and the onboard Fuse appears to be shot
are these fuses available in the big box stores?

Yes or auto parts.But again I assure you R and W did not blow fuse. As stated the thermostat is like a light switch. The light switch breaks the R 24v power wire.If this blew fuse for sure your board is bad and you are wasting time and money

are the boards available in stores or online only?
my R and W are on far ends, I jumped them with small piece of low voltage flex wire and i saw a small spark
now the red light is not coming on and the little fan is not either
the red fuse with Letter E printed on it is black in the center
what is the fuse rating?

If you have a Nordine distributor or a Johnstone in town you can get from them .Often they will only sell to contractors though.

The E is actually a 3. Three amp fuse.You can use a 5 if you don;'t have a 3

I will go get a fuse and see if the red light comes on. the parts supply store Johnstone is in this town but is now closed
I put in a new fuse and it started and is also running for now.

GReat news that it is now running.Let me know if it fails or stays running.