HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My burn am boier has been working properly for many years. A…

Customer Question
My burn am boier...

My burn am boier has been working properly for many years. A month or more ago, I heard some very loud gurgling noises and since then the boi or more ago, I heard some very loud gurgling noises and since then the boiler is hot but is not circulating the hot water. We have replaced the pump, which is hot to the touch..

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Like I said a bout a month ago...it is a little over sixty farenheit in house..so not severe yet

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Im asking your advice..as to why it's not circulating

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/11/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It not circulating because the gurgling noise indicates there is too much air in the system. The air has to be purged unless you have old radiators. Then the radiators can be bled.

We bled the whole system and all radiators are full

If you did it properly you wouldn't hear any gurgling. You have an air lock which is stopping circulation. Gurgling is a classic symptom.

There is no gurgling sounds at all anymore..I'm explaining what happens when the heat reduced about a month ago..first thing we did was fill drain and fill whole system and all radiators are now full and have been well bled.

Is the pump running? It can be hard to tell with a cartridge type pump so put a screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip on the pump. If it's running you should be able to hear it spinning

Back in ~20

no gurgling since a month ago...sytem fully charged..pump has been replaced and yes, is working, out feed on boiler is very hot to touch, but piping just beyond is cooler
When bleeding radiators the flow is less than what it has always been

How do you know the pump is working? Did you put a screwdriver to it? What brand and model pump?

Can't Find the specs but it's identical to the one that was originally there.
Ok..found specs..taco 007-F5 Iron circulator, 1/25 hp

Ok, did you listen with a screwdriver like I instructed before?

it is hot to touch

So is it spinning? Is the pipe above it hot? is it on the return?

The pipe above is not vey hot..but the pump is hot
on return

I'm still waiting on is the pump spinning or not?

spinning

is the arrow on the pump body pointing away or towards the boiler?

Toward boiler

Well you've eliminated all the possibilities. Normally when the pump is real hot but the pipe isn't that's an indication of a failed pump. But you say it's spinning. I can't argue with that since I'm not there.

Just to be clear, you have old cast iron radiators not copper baseboard?

I have cast-iron runtal radiators that hang on the wall.. they are not baseboard

The only other possibility that you haven't ruled out is a valve that's closed unless your system is piped as a loop and not the standard main and branch config.

If a valve were closed how would all the pipes be warm ....as I've been bleeding and the water is still filling to the radiators

You can shut off a valve which would stop the circulation but unless you have a valve on both supply and return shut off water can still fill from the opposite end of the loop. But at this point it's critical that I know if this is piped as a continuous loop (each Runtal is connected directly to the next in line) or main and branch (each Runtal has a supply and return pipe of a common main)

There are three zones and each zone is a continuos loop

Ok, then you probably didn't purge the air properly. I know you think you did but the evidence (no circulation, working pump) says otherwise. Bleeding the Runtals only works with a main and branch system (the proper way to pipe Runtal radiators). If you want help purging the system I call walk you through it on a phone call as long as you post pics of the piping around the boiler here. The only other possibility is a problem with the zone valves. I need the brand of the zone valves to trouble shoot them.

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl