HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Well, I’ve been reading to find answers in the previous

Customer Question
Well, I’ve been reading...

Well, I’ve been reading to find answers in the previous texts, but since your little face popped up below, I thought maybe I should try directly. I have a Rheem Criterion II Gas Upflow furnace that when heat is called for by the thermostat it goes through the process; exhaust fan then igniter then fan, but no flame.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Thermostat is on auto and heat and I cleaned the filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Would like to yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hmm, guess that about covers it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/11/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

This is likely a thermal rollout issue. There are high limit safety thermostats that are around the burner housing area that can trip open if they fail or the unit is overheating. Some of these have reset buttons on them that you can manually press down to reset while others do not. The ones that do not either are one time limits or are limits that are suppose to manually reset when cooled down. Now that does not always happen when they go bad so you will have to check them for continuity with an ohm meter across the two leads going to them. If you do not pwn a ohm meter you can physically bypass each rollout to make sure it is good by connecting the two wires to each rollout sensor together to see if the unit will then operate. Now once you have found the bad one you can change it out or reset it and then you should check your furnace filter for blockages and make sure you main furnace blower is running to speed. These two things can cause a unit to overheat and trip one of these rollout sensors. Mosts units have 3 of these devices and here is a link to what they can look like on your unit.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

All three rollout sensors test as having continuity. Don’t see a reset button on them though. What’s next step?

See if you are getting 24 volts after the ignitor is glowing to the gas valve.

OK, which leads do I test on the gas valve? there are three leads to it one green one blue and one yellow.

blue to yellow

Don’t seem to get any voltage across the blue and yellow wires when the igniter is sparking. What’s the next step?

Can you upload a pic of your wiring diagram on the unit?