HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Honeywell chronotherm IV Plus, what is on when AUX Heat is…

Customer Question
Honeywell chronotherm IV Plus...

Honeywell chronotherm IV Plus, what is on when AUX Heat is coming on the thermostat? It is set on HEAT not EM Heat.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

All OK.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

All OK.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Power off 3 days, snow. Will not heat past 70. Outside unit hums all the time. Outside unit fan does not come on.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 9 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

You have a problem with the outdoor heat pump that needs to be addressed.Could be a bad motor. ice preventing motor from turning or capacitor.

If aux is displayed that means the backup heat strips are all that is heating the home.

In normal heat mode the backup strips work alongside the heat pump as needed.(Auxillary heat)

In EMER mode they work alone .It sounds like the heat strip is not enough to heat the home by itself.

If you have a multi meter and want to do some troubleshooting I can guide you.

Otherwise you will need to get an onsite tech to see why outdoor is not coming on.