HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Goodman forced air furnace. The blower motor was…

Customer Question
I have a Goodman forced...
I have a Goodman forced air furnace. The blower motor was replaced last January. It recently stopped working / over heating. It humms but I can’t push start it. I tested the 10 mfd capacitor on a meter and it reads good. I was able to get the motor to start and run using a 20 mfd capacitor I had laying around. The motor ran for about 10 minutes and overheated again. I’ve tested the motor for shorts to case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/10/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 4 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

This sounds like a bad blower, get the right capacitor size and try it and see if it runs fine or overheats again. If it does overheat make sure the filter is clean and clear. If so and it is overheating replace the blower you have a bad winding on the blower. See what happens.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

The filter is removed by the way.

I would put the right capacitor on and if it still overheats only the winding could be bad on the unit or more than one winding is trying to energize at the same time from the controller.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH