HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 7995-656. The purge cycle runs continuous and it…

Customer Question
I have a Coleman...

I have a Coleman 7995-656. The purge cycle runs continuous and it currently won't stop the purge and switch to heat. This is an intermittent problem. Usually turning the furnace off and on will 'fix' the problem. On rare occasion it's stubborn. I have had service people come to look but it works fine for them.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I know the thermostat well, I doubt it's dirty filters. That's what the repairman said and I changed them last year only to still have the intermittent problems. I did clean the filter a couple months ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I've spent $160 on service calls only to have them tell me they can't find anything wrong. There's little chance they'll show up when it's not working. I'm capable and have worked on propane stuff before.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Scott, HVAC Technician replied 9 months ago
Scott
Scott, HVAC Technician
Hi this is Scott when you say purge cycle do you mean the draft motor stays on or the blower motor stays running and won't heat.
I'm not that familiar. I say purge because from what I read they all start and purge air from flue. I believe it could be called draft too. There must be some dohicky that tells it purge is done, fire it up. Some delay, timer, or brain.
We went to town to get propane for alternative heat after trying to three hour to get it to start. It's worked fine since we got home.
Right there is either a draft motor relay on a circuit board or it could be standalone. But if the relay is stuck closed the motor doesn't stop or make the end switch or pressure switch.
I'm looking at the schematic. I think draft motor relay is labeled as boost relay. Boost relay is connected to damper motor. so that may be the most likely culprit?
the boost relay is what sends power to the draft motor or the draft damper motor some earlier model Colemans had one or the other. If you were to upload a picture of the front of your furnace with the cover off I could tell you which one you have.
I replaced the relay, still have the same problem. It was old new stock from 1985. It wouldn't be bad too would it? Thoughts?