HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My son in law changed out the stove in his home. The home…

Customer Question
My son in law...

My son in law changed out the wood stove in his home. The home itself is mine. He put a larger stove that has a damper on the back of the stove. It does not come off of the chimney. Do we need to have a damper on the chimmy or triple wall thingy. He started the wall on fire behind the stove I believe it was too hot and there was no damper.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The fire was just 4 nites ago We have heated with wood for 20 years with no problems but i grew up with wood. they moved in a year ago but we lived togeather for a few months untill we got a trailer next door.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

This is a stand alone stove it does not hook into anything and I always controlled it by the damper. and it was still hot in our house. We spent more money on heating our pool then we did on heating the house. Im afraid with no damper on the chimney itself We will have a repeat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably my brother in law will do it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No i dont think so. I just need to know if it needs a damper on the chimmey. there are 4 grandkids in that house, they need to be safe

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello.

So far it sounds like there is poor ventilation behind the stove and its fit too close to the wall, and that he may have over fired it (too much fuel)

Take exceedingly well focused photos of the installation and a close up of the vent damper and vent duct arrangements and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

I will take pictures tomorrow and send them to you. Thank you
where it caught fire is where the triple wall goes thru the wall.

Great, I am in all day tomorrow. We can go from there

Im trying to give you a 5 star rating but I cant get it to click

Here is the ratings box.

See you after I get the photo's

With the damper on the stove itself do we need to put one on the pipe going outside?

Hello again, generally no damper is needed, but it does depend on the stove you have, some need a barometric damper... I need the brand and model number of the stove to be sure.... and some photos of the instalation.