HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have installed a Honeywell programmable thermostat.

Have installed a Honeywell...

Have installed a Honeywell programmable thermostat. Connected the red and white wires. When the thermo was set the valve to my boiler opened but when I reset the thermo to a lower temp it does not close. What can I do?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I assume the thermo stat. The boiler was working fine with the older thermo.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Trying to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of.

12/9/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Are you saying you turn down the thermostat and the burner doesn't shut down? Do you have more than 1 thermostat?

3 thermos for 3 different zones. All the others in the house have been turned done.

So burner doesn't shut down? What brand zone valves?

2 white rodgers and one honeywell. The white rodgers is the one in question. I cannot get the honeywell to work at all.
I have the red wire connected to the R connector and white wire connected to the W connector. Is that right?
The old thermo had 3 wires connected. There is a green wire as well.

Ok, as a general rule all your zone valves should be the same brand. But here I suspect you have a bad zone valve that's keeping the boiler energized. What model zone valve? If it's a 3 wire valve then you installed the wrong thermostat. No Honeywell valve is compatible with a 3 wire White Rodgers. You have a 2 wire thermostat.

The valve works with the older thermo. These valves have been in the house for 20 years.
How can I tell if it a 2 or 3 wire wire valve?
What type of thermo should be used?
My Honeywell valve is connected to a 2 wire thermo. The old dial type. The WR thermos are connected to WR thermos.
The WR valves are connected to WR thermos.

Since you have 3 wires connected to the old stat you have a 3 wire valve. Here's some info on White Rodgers stats. Note the top 4 in the table are compatible with a 3 wire zone valve
http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/WhiteRodgers-1F83C-11PR-ProductOverview.pdf

Should the Honeywell prog thermo I have work with the Honeywell valve?

Yes

just connect red to R and white to W?

Yes for the Honeywell

ok I will try that. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

No problem

Thanks

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor