HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We just came home from work and our house is absolutely

Customer Question
We just came home...

We just came home from work and our house is absolutely freezing. The thermostat digital screen was blank so we changed the batteries. It seems to work for a moment and then starts to fade again and eventually goes completely blank. We've tried three different sets of AA batteries and the same thing keeps happening.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If we xan

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/9/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 9 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. If you do not mind some hands on we can start trying a few things. You will likely get a computer generated offer for phone contact but please disregard as I am not set up for phone contact currently.

Do you mind removing the top portion of thermostat to where we can see the wires?

It's working for the moment...should we try anyway. The display has been on for about 3 minutes and the heat is running.

Ok, is the filter ok?

There are a couple things that cut power to thermostat...over heating is one.

If it is running right now I recommend letting it heat things up first

We changed the filters about 30 days ago. We had this happen a few months ago when it was hot outside and the AC wouldn't run while the thermostat was blank. We changed the batteries and it seemed to be fine until today. But honestly, we hadn't changed the batteries before that for probably a few years.

Does the furnace drain water (90% efficient)?

We don't understand the question? We've never checked the furnace for water.

90% furnaces drain condensate.

80% furnaces do not.

The other thing that cuts power to thermostat is a water safety switch.

Does your furnace put exhaust out through a metal pipe to chimney or the side of house with plastic pipes?

Side of the house with plastic pipes
The furnace seems to be working when the thermostat display is. It's when the display goes blank that the unit turns off.

Ok this furnace drains water during ac and heating also.

It may come out side of furnace and go to a small pump that sits next to furnace or to a floor drain.

Can you see or post a pic of the furnace here using the attach files link?

We have 2 units. One is in each attic. It's the downstairs thermostat having issues. How do we know which one that is?

Ok attic units have water safety devices that turn power to thermostat off if water is draining too slow.

I would turn off the other unit at thermostat right now...and leave the one we are talking about running...then go to attic and see which one is running

Ok going up to check now. Stand by please.

you see a water switch can cut power to thermostat...drain...restart....backup water...cut power......drain...repeat

We're checking.
No water at all in either drain pan...not a drop. We checked both units.

That is not where the switch would be....does the furnace drain into a pump?

The downstairs unit is still running and the thermostat is steady display. Makes no sense.
Do you think it's the thermostat itself?

The water safety switch is in the pump or drain line not the pan..the pan is safety catch in case of overflow.

This fits your description as to what could be happening. If you want to eliminate thermostat just swap the 2 and see if issue stays with same system or moves

Ok sounds good. We aren't sure where the drain is so aregoing to wait until daylight and warmer temp to explore. Thank you very much! You've been very helpful. We will come back to this if we are still struggling tomorrow.

Just respond as you need more information

Billy