HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 15 year old Power-matic 4224 lathe. I am turning a…

Customer Question
I have a 15...

I have a 15 year old Power-matic 4224 wood lathe. I am turning a baseball bat. Not a big load. The lathe will run for about three minutes and then stop. If I don't try to run it again for 15 minutes , it will start and run again for about 3 minutes and then shut off. This will continue for two hours. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. The speed indicator remains on showing "0" RPM so it is not loosing power to the machine.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For about a week.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think off. This machine is only 15 years old and has only 200 hours of light use.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/8/2017
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

I​s the motor hot when it shuts down? If so it is overheating and the thermal overload is tripping, if not then the problem sounds like the run capacitor is faulty, and will most likely need to be taken to a motor repair center to bench test and further evaluate.

No the motor is not hot. If the thermal was kicking out wouldn't the speed display be blank? I will pull the motor and have the run capacitor checked.Thanks
Lynn

T​he thermal overload is an internal circuit breaker that resets when it gets below designed temperatures. The speed controller may not be effected as that wiring is typically before the overcurrent protection device, although you would most likely see a constant rpm reduction once the motor loses electricity. The run capacitor should be storing electricity and replenishing it once used, however it appears that is not happening, which makes me suspect either the capacitor or the motor is at fault. Usually it is the capacitor that fails and not the motor, but bench testing should confirm which one.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago

I have not been able to locate any additional information on this issue and since I have not received any feedback, I am thinking the recommendations I mentioned above have been helpful in resolving this problem. If you still need additional assistance just let me know by using the reply box.

Thanks,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on December 08, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Your assistance is needed... A​s of today this question is more than 60 days old and based on the nature of the problem along with the recommendation that were provided, I would like for us to close out this question, however to do that it requires a rating by you as explained below.

Please note that the rating is only based on the experts attempt to resolve the problem. If you feel a credit or refund is applicable, please contact customer service directly as the experts are not authorized to handle these matters.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

​Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I sincerely ***** *****

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 6 days ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor