HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Ruud 90 furnace that suddenly stopped making heat…

Customer Question
I have a Ruud...

I have a Ruud 90 furnace that suddenly stopped making heat at 11 PM this evening

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Everything was fine and it suddenly was putting out cold air. It's 25 degrees outside and down to 65 in the house now.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. Nobody is going to come out tonight and fix it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I removed the front covers. Nothing looked amiss. I turned off the gas for 5 minutes and turned it back on. The blower goes on but no flame.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
The fan seems to work fine; the thermostat clicks when I move it past room temperature; just no flame or heat.
12/8/2017
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE when we are done. this will credit me for assisting you,

Look through the sight glass of the bottom panel of your furnace and count how many led flashes between pauses.

That will give us the error code

Let me check
Let me check.
There are two green lights that stay lit and an ***** *****ght that flashes for an instant.

hOW MANY FLASHES DOES ***** *****GHT DO BETWEEN PAUSE

Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off

OK get the model number off the sticker on the left or right side panel inside top part of furnace

Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off.
Okay. One other thing -- the sight glass is on the top and There is nothing to see through it. I had to remove both covers. There is a little button/switch behind the bottom cover. The cover when placed on the furnace activates the switch. When I hold the switch in the on position the blower activates and I get two green lights. The ***** *****ght flashes for an instant and stays off. I will get you the model number of the furnace but have to run up and down from the basement.
Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off.
Model # is UGRA06EMACS. That last digit may be a "5" it was difficult to tell.

Every time the door switch is released it erases the error code. so this time I want you to put thermostat to off then tape the door switch at bottom door so its pushed in and leave it like that.

then put the thermostat to heat and raise temp up to start furnace,

Then go to furnace, it will attempt to start, when it fails it will give you a different light paterrn, thats what I need

Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off.
Same thing. Two green lights, no ***** *****ght at all
Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off.
Same thing. Two green lights, no ***** *****ght at all. Could the thermostat be bad?

Did furnace turn burners on for 3 sec.

Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off.
The burner did not light at all

Did you raise the temp on Thermostat to call for heat?

Let me check.
The ***** *****ght seems to stay off.
The burner did not light at all.
I did. What troubles me is when I turn the thermostat to "off" between "cool" and "heat" the furnace blower stays on

It stays on because it is in lockout mode. ( normal )

I sent you a phone call request, if you accept it we can work better at it

Hello? have you given up?