HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an electric furnace, and the heating element seems to…

Customer Question
I have an electric...

I have an electric furnace, and the heating element seems to be stuck on. I have to turn the breaker off to get this coil to cool down. After the thermostat reaches temperature, the heating element will stay on for up to 20 seconds after the fan turns off. Then there is a click and the heating element turns off. After this the heating element seems to randomly turn itself back on without the fan being on. I found this out because it set off the smoke detector in the middle of the night, so I let it heat before I go to bed and then turn the breaker off. What could be the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes to both

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is all

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/7/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 9 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

My name is Billy. This is due to a bad sequencer. Follow the wires from the element..it will lead to a "stacked switch"...This is a sequencer that turns blower on, then electric heat etc....these get weak and weld themselves closed at different stages.

The only fix is to replace the sequencer.

Billy