HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

York diamond 80. I just bought this house as a rental and…

Customer Question
York diamond 80. I just...
York diamond 80. I just bought this house as a rental and when I turn on the furnace I get 5 short blinks. I go to the flame rollout switch and see it was removed by the previous owner. I then connected the two wires to have continuity and turn it back on but I just got one blink and nothing else at startup. I disconnect the two wires and I get the same 5 blink code
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 9 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Turn the power off to the unit then jump the R & W terminals on the furnace thermostat terminal strip. Then turn the power back on with rollout leads connected.

One red blink after I depress the switch and then nothing for a minute
If I disconnect the jump, then the draft inducer starts spinning and that's all

That makes no sense since jumping R & W is the same as a call for heat and the draft fan wouldn't start without a call for heat. But let's go with that. Try jumping draft pressure switch leads after draft fan starts up. Any thing else happen? One thing to keep in mind here. Nobody would disconnect the rollout unless it was tripping all the time. The rollout only trips when the heat exchanger is clogged. If you can't clean out the heat exchanger you're looking at a new furnace.

The draft inducer does start up when I don't jump the flame roll out switch, but if I jump the roll out the draft inducer doesn't turn on.

Ok, this is with R&W jumped at the furnace?

Ok so we're back to checking voltage to the fan with R&W and rollout jumped. Draft fan running is normal for an open rollout error.

Just going to go with a technician to come out

Ok.