HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am getting soot from my propane Comfort Glow vent-free gas…

Customer Question
I am getting soot...

I am getting soot from my propane Comfort Glow vent-free gas log heater.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About one year (winter)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I'll be happy to assist you today. Soot is a product of incomplete combustion. The most typical cause is low gas pressure, which you would need a manometer or gas pressure gauge to test. Often times these gas log heaters come from the factory set up for natural gas and require a propane kit be installed when used with LP. Can you check the tag and see what yours was originally designed for?

It is set up for propane. I have it about 15 years and it worked fine until last March. Some one told me it might be the logs.
I looked on line but can not find the ones to match my model. They seem to be no longer available.

Okay sorry, I was picturing a newer unit. It could be the logs, but more likely would be that they are out of position and blocking some of the burner ports or that the ports themselves are clogged. It would be good to have the burners removed and blown out. You could also remove the logs and clean out each burner orifice and see if the soot improves.