HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

S valve will shut down then the startup procedure starts…

Customer Question
S valve will shut...

S valve will shut down then the startup procedure starts again red light is on solid new gas valve and flame senser so dont know what is causing this problem

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A month or two

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All safety circuits are working so thats why i am so confused as to why it goes out when fan is about to turn on. I also have installed a new circuit board last year.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you still need help. Can you please let me know if you still need help with your question?

yah i sure do
I payed for a phone call. When can I expect the HVAC Technician to give me a call?

Before we proceed with the phone call, can you please provide the full make and model # of the furnace? It will be on a tag on the inside of the panel in the burner compartment.

ok mate its a goodman modle gmtho45-38 serial number###-##-####its a small one goes right through its cycle to the point gas is lit but as soon as igniter cools down gas valve cuts out

Okay, thank you! Hopefully we can solve this quickly without you needing to spend the additional money on the phone call - If you look at the burners you should see a flame sensor in the direct path of the flame on the opposite side of the burners of the igniter. Remove that sensor and clean with steel wool, then reinstall and try again. If it works then you're good to go! If not, we can proceed from there.

I wish it were that easy mate. I have bought a new flame sensor even cleaned that one and still furnace shuts down right before the fan kicks in. The other mystery is there are no blinking lights to indicate a problem. I have replaced most of the parts that would cause this happening, gas valve, flame sensor, even a new circuit board. I have done a physical inspection to make sure there are no cracks and there are none. I have jumped the connection to the blower to make sure it works and it does. I have done a meter test to the circuts and to my knowledge they seem to be giving off the right voltage.
does the fan kick in immediately when the flames shut off? Or does it never come on unless jumped? Check the wire beween the sensor and board closely - do a continuity check on it as well. Also, the furnace verifies flame through ground, so make sure the furnace is grounded properly and ground connection is tight.
I will check that and get back you by today.

Sounds good, thanks