HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Trane heat pump that is blowing cold air when on…

Customer Question
We have a Trane...

We have a Trane heat pump that is blowing cold air when on heat setting

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Changed the batteries in the thermostate and changed it to heat again. no difference. filter changed a couple of months ago and changed again yesterday

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Outside unit is not running

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/5/2017
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Whats your indoor unit exact make and model?

Gas furnace or electric air handler?

electric furnace with heat pump[
twe036C14FBO
the heat pump is upstairs outside and the furnace is in the basement

There are many possibilities for your issue,

The first thing I do is set t-stat to start heatpump and with my volt meter, I mesure for 24V ac going to outdoor unit at connection C and Y

Is this something you can do?

there no setting on thermostat to start heatpump. the heater is on. My VOM is at our house that is for sale.

I'm confused, do you mean your t-stat is blank like dead, nothing on display??

sorry, the heatpump should be started.
the VOM is what's missing

I will opt out to let another tech hel you.

Please do not respond till you get a responce.

HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Do you still need help. Russ

we still need help

Russ here. When in heat setting go outside tom outside unit and check to see if unit is running. If it is feel the large copper line at bottom. see if it is hot,warm or cold.. The Trane heat pump reversing valve usually fails in heat cycle. The reversing valve switches from heat to cool in outdoor unit. Let me know and I will get back with you. Russ

The outside unit is not coming on
We replaced the thermostat and the outside unit and it just came on, stand by
copper is same temp as outside temp cool
correction. we replaced the thermostat this morning. the outside unit had not been coming on. it is now coming on but copper tube is not changing temperature
the wrapped line is cold

What is model number of thermostat. Y may have to set it up for heat pump. Russ

Honeywell RTH2300B We set to heatpump on the bottom
We have to take care of something be back soon

Ok I am on central time talk to you about 545 CSD. Russ

We are ready when you are. Sorry about having to leave yesterday but we had to take care of an issue.

Make sure on the back of thermostat it is set to factory settings on the right side. On left side to HE. With this thermostat you will not have auxiliary heat on emergency heat. You do have O/B connected correct. Russ

Hey Russ, replacing the thermostat worked once we got the wiring correct. Thanks for your help

You are welcome. I will open rate box for you. Thanks Russ