HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a rheem furnace that has error 57. 5 years old. this…

Customer Question
I have a rheem...

I have a rheem furnace that has error 57

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

5 years old. this happened a couple of times but it would restart. Now noting. No heat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/5/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

I need the model number of your unit. It's on the BTU rating tag inside the burner compartment.

rgfg-09ezcms

Give me a few to look up the specs

no dont call for $24
I didn't realize it was $24. Please don't call

We can continue here. This is a high pressure draft switch error.

The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan ( is the draft fan running?) or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.

nothing is blocked or kinked. When I turn it off then on nothing happens
When I turn it on the fan does not start

That's on a couple of the possibilities. You have to run down the rest on my list