Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I bought a nest e Thermostat today and have trouble

Customer Question

I bought a nest e Thermostat today and have trouble installing it due to not knowing about if my system has heat pump and auxillary power... JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters? Customer: The HVAC guy who came out today said I just need to know "single-stage" (electric heat and ac unit), with outside AC unit. But Nest is asking about heat pump, or 2nd AC something...Not sure what you mean about filters? JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself? Customer: I was told that I just needed to replace the thermostat, which I did. I set up the new nest thermostat, but can't answer some questions before I test it. The HVAC guy did an override, and confirmed my heating unit is working fine, that the thermostat was the issue. JA: Anything else we should know to help you best? Customer: I haven't used this site. How are charges set?

I am installing a new Nest eThermostat because my old one quit working. HVAC tech came to home, and told me that when I get new thermostat that I just needed to know "electric heat, one-stage cooling with outdoor unit. But Next is asking if the star/OB connector is for O/B heat pump or &2: stage - 2 cool or W2: stage - 2 heat. . When I look at my American Standard furnace, there is an Underwriter Laboratories sticker that references being in the "heat pump" category. But Nest is asking if I have auxiliary heat, too, with a heat pump and that's what the B wire is for... If I choose the heat pump option, the next screen shows how my system is wired now, with the new thermostat:

Top left Y1 = heat/cool, G = fan, R = Power, Aux Heat = W1, 24V common = C, heat pump = star OB

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 11 months ago.

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. SINCE YOU HAVE AN AMERICAN STANDARD SYSTEM YOU WILL USE THE O TERMINAL FOR COOLING CHANGEOVER.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, Dan--It seems I am going to need a lot more assistance than what this site can provide. I have more questions than what I typed, as more keep coming to the surface. I know nothing about these systems. Your reply would probably help someone who is more technical than I am.

WHAT OTHER QUESTIONS DO YOU HAVE. I CAN HELP YOU WITH WHATEVER QUESTIONS YOU HAVE