HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 3and half ton air temp package unit heat pump.

Customer Question
I have a 3and...

I have a 3and half ton air temp package unit heat pump. Indicator light blink twice. What's the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes. Change the thermostat and did the same thing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. The 2 blinks means pressure switch high. How do you fix the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 7 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

did this happen during heating or cooling?

Billy

Heat

Thank you,

Now many things can cause this but the basics are circulation blower not working, filter plugged, anything that restricts air flow.

Also if the ac was overcharged during summer it can cause this...there are other items but these are most common...is the circulation fan running and filter/coil clean?

What if the fan is not on the right speed

That also...too slow fan speed mimics a plugged filter and decreases air across coil. Also some of the newer filters are too dense for proper air flow.

It can be things as easy as whats described...or as bad as a expansion valve for heat. How old is this installation?

6months

ok, then even the duct could be too small. Its like having a water pump that can pump 5 gallons a minute and a hose that can only transfer 3 gallons a minute.

Was the unit sized for the job or upsized from a previous?

Change out and went back with the same size unit

Thank you.

And is there good airflow through the duct work?

It runs about a minute and cuts off

How did it run for cooling?

Ran well. No problem

Have you had the installer make any blower changes so the work is done under warranty?

No thinks goodnight

If you have any other questions just let me know. If only 6 months old I would have installer make any changes so warranty remains.

Have a good evening

Billy