HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have an American Standard silver and gold series furnace at…

Customer Question
Have an American Standard silver...
Have an American Standard silver and gold series furnace at home for two different zones
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/4/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like your american standard gold series has tripped its high temperature limit switch or has a bad printed circuit board or other control, it gets pretty technical. You will most likely need a multimeter to measure voltages with... **its very rarely a single push button reset**

Resets occur when there has been a failure in the equipment, then that is repaired, THEN the reset is pushed to re-establish function

.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Hi Phil,Where is the reset switch, inside the furnace? Does that need to be replaced or can be reset? Please clarify.There is a small glass hole through which I can see a red and green light flash, will the count of those lights help in further diagnosing? There is a also a control board outside of the furnace with green and red lights, will a picture of that help in further diagnosis?thanks,
Suresh

There are 2 or 3 flame roll out switches mounted about ONE INCH above the burners in the furnace, exposed so you can see them with the cover removed... press the red buttons on each.

Look on the unit wiring diagram for the flashing light code, it might also be on a sticker on the front of the furnace... you should know that the codes are very useful about 30% of the time... the other 70% of the time they are bogus or not useful (bad printed circuit board will issue bogus error codes for instance).

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me. You will need a multi meter and some skills using it

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed

.

Thanks, ***** ***** cover over the burner area, take an exceedingly well focused photo of it and I will point out the high limit and flame roll out reset switches.

***You should be reminded however resetting these while it might get the furnace running again for a very short while will not solve the problem that caused them to trip***

Thanks, click here please

You can fit a jumper wire across the two terminals on that switch, if the furnace now runs, replace the switch.

If that does not solve the problem you will need a multi meter and some skill with it to perform some tests.

First test measure the voltage between R and C on the thermostat terminal strip on the printed circuit board, if its not 24vac then look for a blown 3 amp fuse on the board.

You should not be messing with the dip switches, set it back where it was earlier.... determining the correct settings is a lot of work it depends on a lot of other variables that are not covered by a simple answer

Phil, is it ok to jump that switch? Won't it cause additional problems to the furnace?
So the steps,
- turn power off to the furnace
- remove the cover
- jump the switch
- put back the covers
- restartPlease clarify

Yes, that is a limit switch, by jumpering it you are simulating its normal position (closed) there is no danger to the rest of the system by jumpering it for a few seconds... the only risk and its a real risk is that you let the furnace run for a long time, say longer then 10 minutes and it also over heats for some reason and now will not shut off because you have that jumper in place.

This is why you should replace the switch immediately if the system now runs with the switch jumpered, I neglected to articulate that you should not leave the jumper in place if the furnace runs.... its only a test, you must not let the furnace run with the switch jumper in place......the jumper is only to see if the switch is open or not.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer