HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Lennox Innovator G32V5. Yesterday it quit working…

Customer Question
I have a Lennox Innovator...
I have a Lennox Innovator G32V5. Yesterday it quit working properly. Here's the scenario. Thermostat calls for heat, unit ignites the flame, ECM blower rotates back and forth but does not fully turn on. After about 45 seconds, the unit completely shuts off even to the point that my Nest controller has no power and reports a power problem. When I first noticed the problem, the indicator LEDs flashed a pattern indicating a low flame sensor. I took the sensor out, cleaned it up, put it back in. This time there were no faults reported by the LEDs but the unit behaved the same way. I'm hoping it is not a bad ECM but I do not have a tester to check it with. Any recommendations?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/4/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, The electronics that control the ECM motor are bad, either the electronics in the end bell (most likely) or the electronics in the furnace/air handler that sends signals to the ECM motor (less likely)... or the windings in the ECM motor are bad, slight chance of that, 10% at the most.

.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a lot about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here as you keep asking follow up questions without any limits …

.

I'm not home right now but perhaps I can run home sometime soon for the picture. I have replaced the thermistor in the unit before, 5-6 years ago, so this wouldn't be the first time I've worked on it. However, if it is the problem, seems like the only thing to do would be to replace it. It's rather expensive so before doing that I wanted to make sure it wasn't the flame sensor. The fact that the LEDs indicated a problem initially with that sensor makes me think it still might be the cause. Is there anything I can do to bypass the sensor, only for test purposes of course, to rule it out of the equation?

Hello again, thermistors generally cost $30 to $60 at the most, unless you mean something else, if you can put a tiny check mark by it on the photo of the wiring diagram you send that will help.

There is no time limit, we can go from there

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant that replacing the whole ECM would be expensive. The small thermistor was only a couple of dollars but I'm certain that is not the problem this time because the motor does rotate back and forth as it tries to determine the direction to commutate the windings. As I see it, I replace the flame sensor or bypass it somehow for test purposes or I replace the ECM. I do not have access to a universal ECM tester. Can I bypass the flame sensor to test the rest of the system?

Hello again, the flame sensor operates to shut off the gas valve if there is no flame, it does not affect an ECM motor in any way.

There are 4 different types of ecm motors, so far it sounds like you have an older Gentex 2.5 model, the entire electronics end bell of that motor can be replaced for less than $200... assuming the motor windings, bearings and rotor are good (they generally are quite durable).

A Genteq brand ecm motor tester is under $100 for most models. Getting one of those would be a good idea.

click here please

The motor situation needs to be corrected before the rest of the system will operate....thats the short explanation, tell me if you want the 500 word explanation or not.

We can go from there

.

Thanks. I'm back in front of it now. It ignites just fine. However, the status LEDs go from both flashing fast (heat called) to one slow one fast (low flame sensor). It does stay on for about 3 minutes but the fan does not come on. Will the fan be called if there is a flame error being reported by the system? I've just noticed that it doesn't try to rotate at all. However, when I turn the whole system off then on again, it spins back and forth.

Hello it sounds like a bogus flame sensor error, if the flame sensor was bad the burner would only stay on for a few seconds in most cases...

so far sounds like the blower motor controls are defective, so the blower does not come on, then the furnace keeps firing for 3 whole minutes until the high temperature safety limit switch trips.

Your test on spinning the blower wheel also points failed electronics ... you need the tester to discover what exactly.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer