HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I recently had A Lenox ML 193UH instaled and need to tie in…

Customer Question
I recently had A...

I recently had A Lenox ML 193UH instaled and need to tie in my solar Thermal system, It was on my previous unit but when I had the new unit installed they did not know how to tie it in, can you help please?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a solar panel professional about this?

I am the solar professional

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can figure out why it wont adappt

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really, I have it running on two seperate controls, the solar only runs the fan and the pump, my problem is I cannot get the fan to run with the pump. If you have a schematic that shows how to tie in thermal with the system that would be great

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/4/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

The fan (I assume mean the furnace blower) is typically controlled by a strap on aquastat on the hot water coil return. Since there are any number of ways to configure this You'll have to give me more info.

the blower fan, i had the old furnace running off the transformer but this newer model will not allow that

That's pretty vaugue. I can tell you one way to wire this from scratch but you'll have to provide a lot more info if you want to utilize what you have.

what info do you need, I have no problem doing it from scratch. If there is a schematic showing how to do it that would work as well

I don't have a schematic. I can describe it for you. Do you have a relay controlling the pump now? How does the pump know the Solar water is hot enough?

there is a relay controling the pump, and their is a temp sensor on the piping telling it the water is warm enough

So what turns the pump on now? What's the brand and model of the relay?

Brand and model of the temp sensor if it's an aquastat?

the thermostat turns the pump on, Im not sure the brand n model of relay
the temp sensor is stecca

relay brand & model? not fmiliar with a stecca. Is that the solar controller? Does the pump have to run other thaa to send hot water to the coil?

it is solar, and all the pump does is push water to the roof n back

We're not on the same page. You're talking about the pump that circulates water through the collector. I'm talking about the pump that circulates the water between the coil above the furnace and your solar storage.

same pump, grundfos

Ok, so water circualtes through the heating coil whenever the controller tells the Grundfos to run?!!?

Ok not a standard config at all but if that's what you got we can work with it. What did you mean when you said " the thermostat turns the pump on"? Were you talking about the room (heating) thermostat?

this set up is very old ive been maintaining it for 6 yeary but the customer got a new furnace, if you know of a better way im open to suggestions

Ok, the way it's set up now there's nothing more to do. Water circulates through the coil anyway no matter if there's a call for heat or not.

no it only circulates if their is a call for heat but my fan wont come on

You're contradicting yourself. You said the solar controller operates the pump. It will turn the pump on when there's a temp differential between the tank and the collector that big enough to efficiently heat the water. It doesn't come on when there's a call for heat. If that was the case you'd have 2 pumps, 1 to to the collector the other to circualte water to the coil.

theres no tank, it just circulates when there is a call for heat, when the desired temp is reached it shuts off

This makes no sense to me. So you're saying the differential controller is wired in series with the room thermostat?

their is 2 thermostats, one for normal use of the heat and air and one for the solar, used sepratly

You didn't answer my question.

its wired in series

Line voltage thermostat for solar?

i give up
12 volt

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.