HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My thermostat is blank. My filter was dirty from doing a lot…

Customer Question
My thermostat is blank. ...

My thermostat is blank.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

My filter was dirty from doing a lot of drywall work in the house recently so I changed it out this morning.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Since then I shut off the breaker before going to church this morning.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Now I turned breaker back on and no power to the thermostat.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks,

click here please, notice yellow marks

1. make sure the blower door switch is closed

2. measure voltage between R and C on the thermostat terminal strip, if you do not get 24vac check the door switch and make sure there is 120v power to the furnace.

3. tell me if the diagnostic light is on or not and if its blinking or not,when the blower door panel is closed.

We can go from there

I got it to work when I took the cover off the thermostat and touched the 2 wires together. I purchased a wifi Honeywell thermostat from Lowes and attempted to install but it has no slots for OT1 and OT2 like my old thermostat.
My unit switches from electric to gas once temp gets to 32 outside. I'm heading that's what those wires are for.
I'm thinking that's what those are for.

So far it sounds like your old thermostat was a communicating type.. that is not compatible at all with the more standard type with R,W,Y, G and C terminals.

I need the brand and model number of the original thermostat and the new one you bought and photo's of the printed circuit board inside the furnace/ air handler that shows the wire connections..

with that data I can coach you on what to buy and how to wire it.

The 32 degree thermostat is to prevent your heat pump from running when its below 32F outside and switches you to back up heat

The photo's need to be taken close up and exceedingly well focused, attach them here using the 'add files' link next to your send button... load the pictures from your cell phone into your computer and post them here from your computer

THT0251 is the old American Standard one that I have currently that the screenprinting has went blank on.The one I purchased from Lowes is RTH6580WF1001/U1 which doesn't have the OT1 or OT2 slots

Thanks, I will park the manual for the new thermostat here,

.

click here please I need a picture of that terminal strip with all of the extraneous wires out of the way so that I can see very clearly which color of wire goes to which terminal

Your second photo was better but some of the wires were blocking the view of the terminal letters... RWGYC etc

Thanks, ***** ***** the established standard wiring for simple single stage systems and is easily paired with a wide range of different thermostats.

at your new thermostat Blue wire goes to C terminal, and Red wire goes to R, and Green wire goes to G, and white wire goes to W, and yellow wire goes to Y.

That should work, if not then there is an issue with the equipment itself, which we can look into if needed.

Do the wiring with the power off to the furnace, lacking that you could blow a 3 amp fuse in the 24volt circuit.

If you can measure voltage between R and C terminals in the photo, and get no voltage then look for a blown fuse on the printed circuit board.

If you have 24vac between R and C... then it should run (unless the printed circuit board or some other control in the furnace is bad).

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. That is the only way the company pays me for my time. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.