HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I’m trying to install a best 1st model to a dual system and…

Customer Question
I’m trying to install a...
I’m trying to install a best 1st model to a dual system and the previous thermostat had the white into and a jumper to E. My nest has a w1 but no E. Only has aux/w2. How do I wire that?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 9 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello.

Generally you would use aix on the nest in place of the E wire. If that fails, I need which color wire connected to each lettered terminal on the old thermostat. and a photo of how you have the nest wired,

If your old thermostat only has a 4 wire connection, abcd or 1234 terminals or just two terminals marked + and - then your system will not be compatible with a nest thermostat.

There are many different system configurations called 'dual system' I need to know the brand and model number, and what you mean by dual...

.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed

My goal is to give you the best experience

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Do you need more pictures?

Thanks, ***** ***** to aux on the nest

And tell me if you have 24vac between R and C terminals, if not, look for a 3 amp automotive type fuse pressed into the printed circuit board in the furnace or air handler that may have blown,

We can go from here

Here are a few more pictures.
FB6EDE5D-634A-446B-A900...jpegFB6EDE...jpeg0BF44598-4EF8-4A16-9DAF...jpeg0BF445...jpegE3DC4A0A-6BC2-4091-B6BE...jpegE3DC4A...jpegDFBD5111-43D8-4BE7-8399...jpegDFBD51...jpeg
I’m not able to put 2 wires in the W1 slot on the nest.
I was finally able to get both wires in W1 and attached to AUX

Good work, tell me if the system works now or not, if it heats when it is supposed to cool the thermostat programming in that regard has to be reversed, we can discuss that later

Equipment detected means its wired correctly

Most NESTS have an internal jumper between RH and RC

IF thats the case you will get a 24vac read between C and RH and C and RC test for that.

If the equipment is not running then you have other issues aside from the thermostat. tell me what you can about the history on this is etc please. we can go from there

The system is running and I’m tested the heat and the ac both are working

Good work!

If you want the company to pay me for my time select the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of your page and click on it.... rating does not affect your charges. but is how I earn a living.

Thanks in advance