HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My keeprite gas furnace has the error code with three

Customer Question
Hi, my keeprite gas...

Hi, my keeprite gas furnace has the error code with three flashes.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

Just replaced batteries in thermostat. No pilot light at the moment but if I turn the main power on and off it runs just fine, breifly.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just replaced the air filter as well. Can the front cover be removed safely while the unit is in operation.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like a dirty flame sensor, that would be the case if it runs fine for less the 2 to 5 minutes..... if it runs longer than 10 minutes its probably too many closed vents cauing the furnace high limit to trip, or a bad high limit switch.

There is a door switch on most furnaces that will not let the furnace run with door off

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Most furnaces will run safely with the door over the burner area removed, but not with the blower access door removed.

If you need more coaching

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

Wecan go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Selectthe 'finishand rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

I got it, thanks, ***** ***** about 15 minutes to mark it up with trouble shooting instructions

Ok thanks

I need to know how many seconds the furnace seems to run before it goes off prematurely

Ok, give me a few minutes

.

Twenty minutes so far and the furnace is running fine.

Next time it goes off prematurely jumper the high limit switch

Click here please, you can do that either of the two places marked

If the furnace then operates, and all of the vents are open and filter is clean, then replace the limit switch.

Exception would be if you have AC and furry pets and the furnace is over 10 years old, in that case the blower wheel and cooling will need cleaning as well.

.

.

Ok, thanks.
Still running fine at the moment.

There are no time limits at all, we can wait and see... if the question 'times out' ignore it and post back anyway I will get it and we can go from there

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer