HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 10 yr a. o. gpdh50 100 water heater will not start.

My 10 yr a...

My 10 yr a. o. smith gpdh50 100 water heater will not start. Intelli-vent controller is in lockout. Switch off/on and it goes thru startup sequence just fine, starter glows and gas valve switches audibly but no gas. Tries two more times then goes into lockout. Gas feed fine; identical heater next to it works fine. Everything seems to work ( no other error codes) but no gas to ignite.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

No.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I am an electrical engineer.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Please read symptoms described above

12/2/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

WHich LED's specifically are lit when it locks out?

1,4,5

Ok, if the igniter glows but you have no ignition you either have a clogged burner or burner supply tubing (possible but not the likely cause) or you have a bad gas valve. Given the age of the unit (it could leak at any time) and the price of a new Intellivent control (~$200) you might want to consider a new water heater.

Are you still there did you get my last question?

What last question? Last post I see is LED sequence

I’m not sure what’s going on. The screen keeps jumping around on my iPad trying to get me to sign up for more services. Are you getting this message?

I got your post at 1:42 ET

I have no control over what the site does for marketing. I'm a user of this site just like you.

OK. What is the probability that it’s clogged even though everything looks clean as a whistle. Should I pull out the burner assembly and take a look?
Is the gas valve an integral part of the Intelli-vent control?

You can pull the burner if you like but f it's clean in the chamber the chances of a clog drop to near 0. The gas valve is the Intellivent

isn’t $200 intelli-vent control better than a $800 heater? Both heaters are in the mechanical room on a cement floor with a drain 2 feet away.

You're betting the tank will last long enough to recoup your $200. It might but the odds are against you. Most gas water heaters last 10 to 12 years. The heavier the use the shorter the life of the tank before it leaks

Ok thanks. Anything else he might advise me?

You're welcome. That's all there is.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor