HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My water heater pilot light went out, so I turned it on,

Customer Question
My water heater pilot...

My water heater pilot light went out, so I turned it on, hold the pilot light on for over 1 minute, then let it go but the pilot light turned off. Did it a few times but it keep turning off...whats my problem ?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Just this morning when i noticed I don't have hot water

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes sir If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to know how to keep my pilot light on as before

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/2/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe usually indicates a bad thermocouple (The flame sensor in the pilot flame). If your unit is pretty new it may be a thermopile (similar but different). The thermo will have to be replaced

Which part of the unit is the thermocouple or the thermopile...
no, thanks

It's the flame sensor in the pilot flame. If you have no experience with this sort of thing then leave this to a plumber.
Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer