HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We need to replace our LUX 500 programmable thermostat. It's…

Customer Question
Good morning! We need...

Good morning! We need to replace our LUX 500 programmable thermostat. It's worked perfectly for about 15 yrs & we love it. We also have space restrictions and want to be sure the connections will fit with no problem. We're having trouble finding exactly the same unit.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Good question! When we turn the heat down to below the heat setting and then back up, the furnace comes on but then turns off again. This is a new wrinkle in the problem. Last week we were able to turn the thermostat down and back up and the problem was solved until the thermostat needed to ask the furnace to come on. Replacing the thermostat after 15 years seems reasonable compared to a service call for the furnace. THANKS by the way for your quick response!!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We can install the thermostat ourselves, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes --we'd like to know whether other LUX models' face plate will line up with the existing 500 back plate. Local hardware depts. have other LUX models. Would those models' face plates line up for easy replacement?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/2/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The back plate will work with other models in the same series but that's it. It a simple mater to swap the wires as long as you note the terminals they were connected to. You can use many other thermostats besides Lux