HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Quadrafire 1200 Classic Bay and it will not feed.

Customer Question
We have a Quadrafire...

We have a Quadrafire 1200 Classic Bay and it will not feed. Checked the auger motor itself - if you put power to it directly it runs. Stove seems to work fine but will not feed.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It started end of winter last year and haven't been able to use it since

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/2/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 4 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Is the fan coming on and the unit is firing up fine?

Are we still connected?

Have you checked the vacuum tube that attaches to the vacuum switch for any blockages? Also have you checked all the snap discs?

Replaced the snap discs.

Have you tested for power to the auger motor? You may have a bad one

I put power to the auger motor and it works but it doesn't seem to get power from the control box.

OK if everything is firing up and running the sensors should all be good and that basically only leaves the control box itself or if there are insufficient pellets in the hopper, it will lose vacuum and not feed. Same for a dirty, blocked vent. If the thermocouple is bad or the ceramic sheath is not inserted fully, it cannot sense so the sequence will halt when the first handful of pellets are consumed. There could be an obstruction in/ around the auger, which is more common than you'd think. I would check that and see.

Anything?

Did you get my post? Note there is a delay in posts to me and to you so just wait until you see a post before replying as it just delays everything even more.

Do you have any ideas?

Yes did you you read this post and check anything?

"OK if everything is firing up and running the sensors should all be good and that basically only leaves the control box itself or if there are insufficient pellets in the hopper, it will lose vacuum and not feed. Same for a dirty, blocked vent. If the thermocouple is bad or the ceramic sheath is not inserted fully, it cannot sense so the sequence will halt when the first handful of pellets are consumed. There could be an obstruction in/ around the auger, which is more common than you'd think. I would check that and see."

Do you think it's the control box?

If the unit is clean yes I would say the control box is bad. You could bypass the vacuum switch to see if it runs the auger if it does not then yes I would say a bad control box.

I will be out for just a bit, but if you need anything else please post back...All that I ask is please use the FINISH BY RATING link on your page to select a *****5 STAR rating***** before leaving.....otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Also this does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

This is rediculous!!!!

Take care I will see if another expert can help you, I have covered about as much as I can with you on this issue.

HVAC Technician: Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.

This answer is based on the information you have given.If you have any additional information you would like to add, you can use the reply box below for additional questions, comments, or would like to upload helpful photos.

I have reviewed the information that has been passed, I don' see anything about the exhaust motor if it is acting up the unit will not have a vacuum witch seem to be the problem check it out i think you will find the problem.

Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician